Your donation will provide a family living in Pakistan with a water hand pump installed in their very own home which means that family members will no longer have to travel far distances in search of water. A hand pump enables children to go to school and further their education; allows mothers to cook and clean using fresh, safe water and helps fathers worry a little less about the financial pressures from drinking unsafe water which has previously led to waterborne diseases and illnesses at home.
Our team in Pakistan carries out needs assessments on the ground to identify the most neediest families in terms of water scarcity.
SKT Welfare has contracts with suppliers known for their good quality in building and installing water hand pumps.
One water hand pump costs £200.
The depth of a hand pump can vary but a local hand pump can go as deep as 100m.
SKT Welfare will install hand pumps in the neediest areas of South Punjab and Sindh.
One hand pump can provide water for a family of up to 8-12 members.
Water consumption is usually estimated at 15-60 litres per person per day for such rural villages where we install hand pumps.
The construction of a hand pump takes up to 6 months and feedback is provided via email at the end of the 6 months in the form of pictures and details about where it has been built.
SKT Welfare’s team in Pakistan carries out regular monitoring and evaluation visits after the hand pump has been built to ensure that the hand pumps are working correctly and that the parts are not damaged due to general wear and tear.
The lifespan of the hand pump depends on how well it is looked after by the beneficiaries. As an industry practice, the useful life of a hand pump is 5 years, however, they can survive from between 7-10 years.
● Names of up to 30 characters are allowed on the plaque.
● Ayahs from the Qur’an, Allah’s Names/Attributes or Hadiths are not allowed as we do not want these holy words to be desecrated.
● Plaques will contain a number to show which hand pump we have installed to date.
● The message on the plaque will be in English, with the same message in a smaller font in Urdu too.
● If no name for a hand pump is given in the ‘notes’ section of the donation, SKT Welfare will use “Donated by” followed by the donor name given upon receipt when the donation was made.